Building Developments With Level 2 Technicians

Homeowners and property developers are always looking at ways to maximise the use of their land. With smart homeowners looking for an extra passive income stream the natural addition is to build a granny flat which they can lease or host on Airbnb as a holiday rental.

Other’s may purchase the property with plans to demolish the existing house and build their dream home and for property developers typically deconstructing an existing home and building duplexes to maximise the real estate is a common economical approach.

In all of these cases you’ll need an accredited Level 2 electrician. A standard licensed electrician isn’t qualified to deliver certain parts of the electrical work that’s required.

Building Development For Level 2 Technician

What’s a Level 2 Electrician?

‘An Accredited Level 2 Electricians is certified to perform work on the Electricity Distribution Network.'



When you’ll need a Level 2 Technician

While a licensed electrician can provide new power points and lighting to a home, there are limitations to what they can do when developing existing properties.

Granny flats

  • Mains power and sub-meter

Installation of a mains power cable connects the existing homes power supply to the granny flat. This is sufficient for the Airbnb style all inclusive holiday rentals, but for homeowners looking for longer term rentals the installation of a electricity subsidiary meter (sub-meter) is a better option. Sub-meters allows the homeowners to provide accurate power usage consumption to the granny flat for billing purposes.


Demolishing an existing home

  • Disconnecting and reconnecting the electrical supply

The first step when deconstructing an existing home is the disconnection of the electrical services. This is to eliminate the risk of electrocution throughout the demolition process. Once all new structures have been built the Level 2 Technician will be required to connect them to the main supply.

  • Repairing an existing electrical supply

The current power cabling may erode over time or become damaged during deconstruction, leading to the issue of a defect notice for unsafe situations. It requires a properly trained and certified technician to carry out these repairs effectively.


General works

There are also many situations when a Level 2 Technician is needed for new construction, regardless of whether the new structures are residential or commercial. These are:

  • Providing temporary power to a building site

As construction progresses on the site, builders and construction workers need temporary power to operate tools and safety equipment.

  • Upgrading electrical mains

Whether it’s due to drawing on an increased current, or to specialised power equipment, three-phase power may be required to the site. Not only will you need to upgrade the mains run, but you’ll also need an upgraded electrical meter.

  • Installing new meters and switchboards

Regardless of the size of the development, additional meters will be required per unit. The scope will be determined by the number of residences or commercial units being built on the same lot and may require the installation of a switchboard.

  • Providing and repairing overhead or underground power connections

Occasionally, a new power source is required to provide electricity to a development. Regardless of whether the supply is from overhead lines or an underground source, an accredited technician will need to carry out the works.


Don’t get caught out

Always check that your Electrician’s accredited. Don’t be shy, your electrician should be able to provide proof of their accreditation.

In order to obtain accreditation, the technician:

  • Must be certified in their training for completing the works
  • Have a full working knowledge of all the relevant Acts and Regulations
  • Will be graded by an independent assessor. The gradings will take into account projects that have been completed by the technician.

We never take offence to this question because it’s all about safety first, not only for our team but for your family.

Additionally you can even do a quick check online, the New South Wales Department of Energy and Resources maintains an up to date list of all Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 Accredited Technicians on their website.


Understanding the definitions

Depending on the type of work you’re getting done, you’ll need to make sure they are accredited in the correct class to do so.

  • Class 2A = Disconnect and reconnect at connection point (previous Category 1)
  • Class 2B = Underground services (previous Category 2)
  • Class 2C = Overhead services (previously Category 3)
  • Class 2D = Metering Energising Installations – including disconnect and reconnect (previous Category 4)
  • Class 2X = Non-electrically qualified D

Whether you’re building a granny flat, a new home or constructing an entire set of duplexes, be sure to ask the right questions and seek the right advice before committing to contract the services of an electrician. The last thing you want is for the build to grind to a halt once the wheels are in motion.

Need A Power Pole Relocation